Browse archives and indexes and plan your visit to the History Centre.
Bolton Central Library is now open in Crompton Place Shopping Centre
We will be offering a full range of services from this location while renovation work is carried out in our main location.
Bolton Museum and Aquarium will remain open throughout the Library renovation.
Items from the Archive collections must be pre-booked at least 7 days in advance.
You can book by telephoning 01204 332185 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of the material requested.
Get ready to explore some remarkable things
Plan your visit
|Monday||9am – 5pm|
|Tuesday||9am – 5pm|
|Wednesday||9.30am – 5pm|
|Thursday||9am – 5pm|
|Friday||9am – 5pm|
|Saturday||9am – 5pm|
Bolton History Centre
Le Mans Crescent
Bolton Interchange is 0.4 miles away (a 10 minute walk) and is the main transport hub, with multiple bus and rail connections. Plan your journey on tfgm.com.
We are easily accessible by road - the M60, M61 and M6 are all on our doorstep. The nearest long stay public car park is the Octagon NCP multi-storey car park (postcode: BL1 1TN).
- There are steps leading to the main entrance with handrails at either side.
- There is a permanent ramp to the left hand side with handrails to both sides.
- The main entrance door is automatic and accessible by wheelchair users.
- There is a hearing loop system installed on the museum reception desk and also in the History centre.
- The shop counter has a hearing loop system installed.
- A magnifying glass, pen and pad of paper are available on request.
- All the galleries have interpretation boards with pictures and large text.
- There are interactive touch screens; that can be accessed from a sitting or a standing position.
- There are oral interpretation exhibits in the Bolton Lives gallery on automatic sensors.
- Lighting in the galleries is generally bright and evenly lit, however some areas are more dimly lit to aid preservation of the collections.
- There are on street Blue Badge parking spaces on Le Mans Crescent outside the building.
- Accessible unisex toilets are located on the ground and first floors.
- All our staff receive regular training that includes disability awareness training.
- We have children's ear defenders available to borrow in all our Library and Museum spaces.
- We have a set of evacuation procedures – should you require it someone will assist you with evacuation either out of the building or to a refuge area. We have evacuation chairs to assist.
- We welcome trained assistance dogs. A water bowl is available on request.
We have created a policy which lays out our commitment to maximising access for everyone. Read our access policy to learn more.
- A shop with a range of souvenirs and books is located on the first floor at the museum reception desk.