Come and enjoy amazing history, art, culture and activities in our accessible and family friendly galleries.
Ranging from Egyptian mummies to local history and wildlife, Bolton's collection has something for everyone
With family friendly events and exhibitions available all year round, enjoy the fascinating story of Bolton, its places and people, alongside displays of Art, Egyptology, Archaeology, Botany and Zoology.
Members of the public must wear a face covering in all Library and Museum spaces.
Please note: We are not accepting postal donations to the Museum collections at this time. We are unable to process these during the pandemic. Please also be aware that under normal circumstances, items should not be sent to us by post without prior agreement and this still applies.
Get ready to explore some remarkable things
Plan your visit
Le Mans Crescent
Le Mans Crescent
Bolton Interchange is 0.4 miles away (a 10 minute walk) and is the main transport hub, with multiple bus and rail connections. Plan your journey on tfgm.com.
There is a free town centre Metroshuttle bus service, service 500 which operates every 15 minutes between 9am and 5pm from Monday to Saturday, covering a circular route of around three miles around the town centre and serving 15 bus stops including Bolton Interchange.
We are easily accessible by road - the M60, M61 and M6 are all on our doorstep. The nearest long stay public car park is the Octagon NCP multi-storey car park (postcode: BL1 1TN).
- There are steps leading to the main entrance with handrails at either side.
- There is a permanent ramp to the left hand side with handrails to both sides.
- The main entrance door is automatic and accessible by wheelchair users.
- Lifts go to all floors of the building.
- There is a hearing loop system installed on the museum reception desk and also in the History centre.
- The shop counter has a hearing loop system installed.
- A magnifying glass, pen and pad of paper are available on request.
- All the galleries have interpretation boards with pictures and large text.
- There are interactive touch screens; that can be accessed from a sitting or a standing position.
- There are oral interpretation exhibits in the Bolton Lives gallery on automatic sensors.
- Lighting in the galleries is generally bright and evenly lit, however some areas are more dimly lit to aid preservation of the collections.
- There are on street Blue Badge parking spaces on Le Mans Crescent outside the building.
- An accessible unisex public toilet are located on the first floor. There are also unisex accessible toilets on the ground floor to the left of the main entrance and in the basement near to the lift. These can be unlocked with a RADAR key available from any member of staff in both areas.
- Accessible unisex toilets are located on the ground and first floors.
- All our staff receive regular training that includes disability awareness training.
- We have a set of evacuation procedures – should you require it someone will assist you with evacuation either out of the building or to a refuge area. We have evacuation chairs to assist.
- We welcome trained assistance dogs. A water bowl is available on request.
We have created a policy which lays out our commitment to maximising access for everyone. Read our access policy to learn more.
- A shop with a range of souvenirs and books is located on the first floor at the museum reception desk.
- Unisex accessible toilets are located on the ground floor These can be unlocked with a RADAR key available from any member of staff in both areas.
- Public toilets including an accessible unisex toilet are located on the first floor.
- Baby changing facilities are on both the ground and first floors.