This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Situated outside of the town centre in the Smithills area of Bolton, the Hall is one of the region’s finest historic houses. The building is accessed via a front door with ramped access.
The galleries are based mainly on one level but with two rooms on the first floor accessed via a staircase.
The Hall is an accredited museum and we are a member of the Visitor Attraction Quality Assurance Scheme.
Library and Museum assistants are on hand throughout the building should you require assistance.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require assistance please phone 01204 332377 or email email@example.com
- For details of our opening times, where we are and a map of where to find us see the plan your visit pages on our website www.boltonlams.co.uk
- We have a Guide to our services leaflet that is available to download from our website.
- The nearest train station is Bolton, which is 3.27 miles away. Taxis are available at the station.
- The nearest bus service is the 527 which leaves from Bolton Town Centre.
- The road leading up to the Hall is paved on one side and is tarmac.
Car Parking and Arrival
- There is a car park directly outside the Hall with designated disabled parking. There is a further car park situated further up the lane from the Hall.
- Visitors can be dropped off at the entrance.
Main Entrance and Reception
- There are permanent ramps from the main entrance to the reception area.
- The reception desk is on the ground floor.
- The floor surface within the Hall is a mixture of tiles, wood, stone and carpet.
- There is a lowered section of the welcome desk.
- A magnifying glass, pen and pad of paper are available on request.
Displays, Exhibits etc
- The museum is on two floors, with the majority of rooms being on the ground floor.
- Due to the age of the building the floors in many areas are uneven.
- There are various steps up and down into some of the ground floor rooms. A ramp is available on request.
- There are 2 rooms on the first floor accessible via a staircase. Photographs of these rooms are available at the bottom of the stairs for those unable to access this floor.
- Some of the rooms have interpretation boards with pictures and large text.
- Library and Museum assistants are on hand to offer any assistance.
- There are chairs available to use throughout the building.
- Lighting in the galleries is generally bright and evenly lit; however some areas are more dimly lit to aid preservation of the collections.
- Public toilets including an accessible unisex toilet are located on the ground floor.
- The unisex accessible toilets can be unlocked with a RADAR key available from any member of staff.
- There are baby changing facilities on the ground floor.
- There is a shop with a range of souvenirs and books etc. which can be accessed on the ground floor of the Hall.
- The shop is level throughout and is large enough for a wheelchair or pushchair.
- A low level counter is provided.
- There are tall display racks and low levels ones accessible from a seated position.
- Staff can offer assistance if required.
- There is a privately managed Tearoom within the hall serving a variety of hot and cold food and drinks.
- Tables and chairs are provided.
- The café is waitress service.
- All our staff receive regular training that includes disability awareness training.
- We have a set of evacuation procedures – should you require it someone will assist you with evacuation.
- We welcome trained assistance dogs. A water bowl is available on request.
Smithills Dean Road,
Telephone: 01204 332377
Hours of Operation for the museum
- Wed, Thu, Fri - 10am to 3pm
- Sun - 12pm to 4pm
Hours of Operation for the Tearoom
- Mon to Sun - 9.00am to 4.30pm